Ten Tips to Make Your Small Room Look Larger
When deciding to sell your home it is important to take the steps necessary to ensure that the rooms in your home are properly “staged” to appeal to prospective buyers. This may harder than expected as we all have rooms in our home that may be on the smaller side and hard to decorate. What can really be done with a small room?
Below is a list of ten tips to help you open up the small spaces in your home to appear larger and inviting to prospective buyers.
- The use of light colors such as pastels, neutrals and white are a better alternative to “bright” or dark colors.
- For your furniture, rugs, etc. you should select different shades and textures of the one color you select from above.
- Lighting is critical when trying to create an illusion of a larger space. Recessed lighting is ideal for smaller spaces. In the event that this option is too costly, torchiere lighting is a viable alternative as the light bounces off the ceiling and back into the room.
- Declutter the room.
- A light colored floor and ceiling will open up the room and make it appear larger.
- Mirrors are a must as they add dimension to the room by reflecting images, light and colors. Mirrors provide a “see through” feel to the room.
- Remove large bulky furniture from the room. One or two smaller pieces placed closer to the walls are better than one large piece of furniture in the middle of the room.
- Don’t clutter the walls with a collection of pictures. Replace the many pictures with one larger picture or painting.
- Take advantage of the view of your yard and bring the outside in by allowing prospective buyers to see out into your flowerbeds or gardens.
- Glass tables such as a dining table, end table or coffee table will maintain the “open” and airy feel in a small space.